Found January 28, 2013 on
MLB Injury News:
Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly recently spoke to
free agent third baseman Scott Rolen about joining his team for the 2013
season, according to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com.
Manager Don Mattingly said he spoke to free-agent third
baseman Scott Rolen about playing for the Dodgers, although Rolen hasn't
revealed if he's interested in playing anywhere in 2013.
At this point, it’s not clear if Rolen will be playing
anywhere next season, as the 37-year-old has yet to make a decision on retiring
or coming back for another year. If he does opt to return, Rolen has said that his
former team, the Cincinnati Reds, would be his top choice.
If the Dodgers would sign Rolen, it would likely be as
insurance in case Luis Cruz struggles with a full-time role at third base. Los
Angeles could also use Rolen as a right-handed-hitting backup for first baseman
Rolen spent the last three full seasons with the Reds. In
2012 he hit .245/.318/.398 with 17 doubles and eight home runs over 294
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The Dodgers have signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Michael Medina and Dominican shortstop Carlos Aquino, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America & Roberto Baly of Vin Scully Is My Homeboy, respectively. Medina was signed for $275,000, whereas Aquino agreed for $75,000.
Medina, who is from Santo Domingo and trained with Amauris Nina, is 6-foot-2, 185 pounds and played...
The Dodgers' international signing barrage continued over the weekend, as they signed Dominican shortstop Carlos Aquino to a $75,000 deal.
His age is unknown, but it's probably safe to assume he's a teenager.
From the Dominican Prospect League website:
Aquino was eligible in 2012 but lacked the strength and ability he is presently showing. He has smooth fielding...
The Dodgers have not had their TV deal with Time Warner Cable cleared by the MLB yet, as said yesterday, and indications that it’ll be allowed to stand as is are bleak, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
Major League Baseball has major concerns over the Los Angeles Dodgers’ record new TV deal, and unless an agreement can be reached within a few months, their differences...
The Dodgers new ownership group created American Media Productions in December of last year with the goal of launching a regional sports network dedicated to the team, and now they’ve announced that the network will be called SportsNet LA and will be home to the Dodgers starting in 2014, according to a Time Warner Cable press release.
The press release also gave some plans for...
The Los Angeles Dodgers may not use Kenley Jansen as their closer in 2013, but they will have him in their bullpen. And he will be healthy. Jansen is feeling good and off blood thinners. He says he is completely recovered from the surgery he had last October after an irregular heartbeat was discovered.
According to Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Jansen...
The Los Angeles Dodgers and Time Warner Cable officially announced their joint television deal on Monday. It is believed to be worth about $8 billion over a 25-year period. It will launch a new network called SportsNet LA after the 2013 season. "We concluded last year that the best way to give our fans what they want -- more content and more Dodger baseball -- was to launch...
I made the trip to Dodger Stadium for the 2013 edition of FanFest, the club's second such event. My recap of last year can be found here. I wasn't as prepared for this year's event but wasn't going to miss it. I spent the day with my good buddies Spiegel and Arno which made the long wait bearable. Shout-outs to DodgerBobble, Jesse, Alex, Teresa, and Oscar, whom I...
As anticipated, the Los Angeles Dodgers and Time Warner Cable today announced a new regional sports network with the working name of SportsNet LA that will launch at the beginning of the 2014 Major League Baseball season. In addition to being the exclusive local home for all of the Dodger games, SportsNet LA will provide comprehensive behind-the-scenes Dodger programming, featuring...
As we continue to enter a “new era” of TV broadcasting approaches (franchises owning networks, networks owning franchises) the Los Angeles Dodgers landmark 25-year, $8B (that’s billion, which is almost half of the annual NASA budget) deal for broadcast rights may benefit smaller market teams. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times has the extensive detail, but snippets are...
The Dodgers announced that they have joined forces with Time Warner Cable to form a new team-exclusive network. They are the first professional sports team with a network dedicated exclusively to broadcasting its own games and other team-related programming. The new network, called SportsNet LA, will begin broadcasting Dodger games and other Dodger programs [...]
The Dodgers have agreed to a lengthy and lucrative television deal that involves the creation of a new regional sports network. In other news, CBS Sports has an eye on “Catholic 7″ television rights, and [...]
The Red Sox were willing to give Bobby Abreu a look, but that might be the extent of their interest.
According to The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo, the Red Sox are unlikely to pursue Abreu as the backup first baseman/outfielder they’ve been seeking this winter.
On the surface, Abreu — if capable of playing an adequate first base (a big “if”) — would seem to make some...
A couple of months ago, word leaked out that the Dodgers were close to a TV deal with FOX that would bring the Dodgers somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-7 billion over 25 years, bringing them something along the lines of a quarter billion dollars a year. Today, Bill Shaikin of the LA Times is reporting that that deal will not come to fruition, and instead that the Dodgers...