There were rumblings throughout the playoffs that the New York Mets would try to strike quickly and lock David Wright up with a long term deal even before a World Series champ was crowned. Well the Giants are your 2012 World Series champs and the Mets have yet to agree to a contract extension with their All-Star third basemen. Given the magnitude of this pending deal, which Joel Sherman of the New York Post believes could potentially amount to a seven-year/$127 million contract extension, it’s not surprising to see things move slowly.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, even without being able to work out an extension, New York will pick up Wright’s 2013 option and continue to work towards something more in the future:
Photo by Michael G. Baron
The Mets and David Wright are in negotiations on a long-term deal, but assuming no multi-year deal can be completed by Wednesday, the Mets will pick up his $16-million option.
The Mets and Wright are thought to have made a bit of progress in multiyear talks, though negotiations were said to be “slow” by some. Mets ownership wants talks under kept under wraps, so it’s hard to know specifics.
Both sides have expressed hope a deal can be done to make Wright a Met for life. The Mets were said willing to start at about $100 million, it was reported here a few weeks ago. However, they see crosstown third baseman Alex Rodriguez as well as others as cautionary tales about contracts taking players into their late 30s and even 40s.
The Mets originally had hopes to make Wright’s option date as a soft deadline of sorts for a multi-year deal, but it is believed the sides will keep talking after the option is exercised. The deadline to pick up Wright’s $16-million option was for three days after the World Series, which is Wednesday.”
Photo by Michael G. Baron
This is a no-brainer for the Mets because, as Heyman points out, “The other option would be to buy him out for $1 million, and that was never a consideration.” The question is, will time be on the Mets side? They new this day was coming, they’ve known it for quite some time, yet nothing has gotten done and negotiations are described as ‘slow’. That worries me. What is going to change between now and the start of the season? Both sides know what they want and have known for some time and it’s not like Wright isn’t the teams’ #1 priority.
I said last year I thought the Mets front office would let Jose Reyes walk and I’m not optimistic they will pony up to make David Wright a Met for life. People can point to the fact that the Mets need a face for their franchise and suggest that attendance will suffer without #5 on the field for New York beyond 2013, but the fact is that Sandy Alderson knows that winning is what puts fans in the seats. If he and the rest of the Metsecutives feel the best way to formulate a team that will have a consistent chance to win next year and beyond is by trading Wright, then that’s exactly what he will do. Alderson may answer to his fans when it comes to radio interviews and bloggers conference calls, but he’s shown no sign that fanfare will influence him when it comes to making long term plans for this ball club. I guess that’s a good thing, I mean the inmates should never run the asylum, I just hope Sandy’s plan does in fact include David Wright and R.A. Dickey.