The Nats won a MLB-leading 98 games in 2012 and were the favorites to win it all this year, but they’re 26-24 through the first 50 games, 4.5 games behind Atlanta. After two months of scuffling, they seem lucky to be on the good side of .500.
It’s kinda hard to be a winning club when you hit like ****:
– 28th in batting average (.230)
– 29th in on-base percentage (.294)
– 28th in slugging percentage (.367)
– 28th in runs (3.5 per game)
– 23rd in home runs (43)
And when you have individual performances like this:
– Stephen Strasburg is 3-5.
– Denard Span’s OPS is .670, which would be the lowest of his career.
– Adam LaRoche’s OPS is .743, which would also be the lowest of his career.
– Dan Haren’s ERA is 5.43, which would be the highest of his career.
– Rafael Soriano has blown three saves.
– Drew Storen has also blown three saves.
– Danny Espinosa’s slashline is .163/.196/.291.
– Tyler Moore’s slashline is even worse (.147/.207/.240).
– And Roger Bernadina’s slashl