Posted December 09, 2012 on
AP on Fox
Ryan Ludwick left the Reds to see if there was a better deal available on the free agent market. He found at least one, but turned it down to stay with Cincinnati.
The left fielder signed a two-year, $15 million deal on Monday that includes a mutual option for the 2015 season. He agreed to the contract over the weekend and came for the formal announcement.
The 34-year-old outfielder batted .275 with 26 homers and 80 RBI in 125 games last season, when he started 107 times in left field. After first baseman Joey Votto got hurt at midseason, Ludwick emerged as one of the team's most consistent run producers, helping the Reds win the NL Central for the second time in three years.
''I've always wanted to prove that one All-Star year wasn't a fluke and I can be an All-Star again,'' said Ludwick, an All-Star with St. Louis in 2008. ''The ultimate goal would be to win a World Series. That's one of the reasons I came back here. I think we have guys in place one through nine (in the batting order). We brought back pretty much the whole team.''
Ludwick hit three homers during the Reds' first-round loss to the San Francisco Giants in the playoffs.
He came to Cincinnati on a one-year, $2 million deal for 2012 that included a mutual option for 2013 at $5 million. Instead, he took a $500,000 buyout, interested in seeing what other teams would offer. General manager Walt Jocketty made an offer, then waited to see what Ludwick decided.
''He had several clubs chasing after him, two or three in particular that would have been attractive places,'' Jocketty said. ''At least one had more money on the table. I think it's a credit to Ryan that we tried to make a deal that was fair, that we felt comfortable with.''
Ludwick struggled in the first half of the season. When Votto needed knee surgery and missed 48 games, Ludwick became one of Cincinnati's top hitters, batting .340 with 12 homers and 36 RBI while the first baseman recovered. Jocketty made keeping him a priority.
''He was a very important part of our success last year as a middle-of-the-order bat,'' Jocketty said. ''It was a bat we had to replace somehow, and I wanted Luddy back for a lot of reasons. I think he'll continue to do well in this ballpark and he'll continue to provide leadership with this ballclub.''
It's the Reds' second major deal in the offseason to keep their roster intact.
Closer Ryan Madson also exercised his contract option after the season and signed with the Angels. The Reds gave Jonathan Broxton a three-year, $21 million deal, which allows them to use him as the closer and move Aroldis Chapman back into the rotation. The Reds got Broxton in a trade from Kansas City in July, and he became a free agent after the season.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The Cincinnati Reds will sport a new look featuring a Hispanic theme beginning in 2013.On Saturday, the team announced during Redsfest that it plans to unveil an alternate jersey with the words "Los Rojos" emblazoned on the front. Reds chief operating officer Phil Castellini stated that the festive tops will be worn throughout the season during select home games. The club...
Free-agent left fielder Ryan Ludwick appears headed back to Cincinnati.
Ludwick closed in on a new contract with the Reds Friday, according to major-league sources.
The deal is expected to be for two years, but financial terms had not yet been finalized, sources said.
Ludwick, 34, bounced back with the Reds last season, batting .275 with 26 home runs, 80 RBI and an .877 OPS.
The Cinncinati Reds re-signed left fielder Ryan Ludwick to a two-year deal worth $15 million on Friday night. The contract also contains a mutual option for the 2015 season.
Ludwick, who turned 34 in July, experienced a rebirth in 2012 with the Reds after a pair of down seasons spent split between the Cardinals, Padres, and Pirates. In 125 games serving in a quasi-platoon in...
A person familiar with the deal tells The Associated Press that free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick is returning to the Cincinnati Reds for a two-year contract worth $15 million.
The person spoke Saturday under condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement about the agreement.
The 34-year-old Ludwick hit .275 with 26 home runs and 80 RBIs while helping Cincinnati...
by: Parker Perry @ParkerPerry_
With news (I believe it was CBS Sports who reported first) that Ryan Ludwick has been signed to a two year deal, the Reds now turn to other needs.
With Scott Rolen's future in doubt, and Miguel Cairo and Wilson Valdez unlikely to return, the Reds need to find a good utility infielder who can back up Todd Frazier at third...
The Reds announced this weekend that they will have a new, red alternate jersey for the 2013 season that reads “Los Rojos” across the front:
I’ve gone on record on this site before, and I will continue to, in support of jerseys that do more than just slap “los” in front of the name but try to do something more. This jersey does that. The Reds don’t have any home uniforms...
Redsfest presented the last good opportunity of 2012 for the media and fans to interact with members of the Reds. In fact, it may even be the last chance to interact with them at all until Spring Training rolls around.
Nonetheless, this weekend produced many interesting notes and quotes from the Reds. Here's a rundown on some of the best:
+ “When I first got injured...
Outfielder Ryan Ludwick has decided to accept a two-offer to re-sign with the Cincinnati Reds, CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman reported Friday. After a disappointing 2011 season, Ludick hit .275 with 26 homers in 125 games in 2012. He had signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal with the Reds prior to last season, and the current deal had been on the table for some time before Ludwick accepted it.
The Reds came into the offseason with a to-do list as they prepare to defend their NL Central crown in 2013. In their first move they retained Jonathan Broxton to move into a closer role and free Aroldis Chapman to move into the rotation. Stories Saturday confirmed that Ryan Ludwick will return to left field after heavy rumors that both sides were close to a two-year deal.
The 2013 Prospect Guide is now officially at the printer. If you ordered the soft cover version, it will be in your hands by the end of the month. With Christmas falling on Tuesday this year, it may or may not be delivered to you by then. If you ordered the PDF version, you will receive an email tomorrow afternoon after I finish up the alterations with a download link. Thanks to...
December 8, 1987 - The Reds sent veteran slugger Dave Parker to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for pitchers Jose Rijo and Tim Birtsas. Although Parker's bat and leadership skills were sorely missed by the Reds, the move turned out to be beneficial for both squads moving forward.
Rijo immediately made an impact on the pitching staff as evidenced by his 13-8 record and...
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds have re-signed OF Ryan Ludwick pending a physical.
Contract details have not been released, but Ludwick had a two-year offer from the Reds believed to be in the $13 to $14 million range.
Ludwick, 34, revived his career with Reds posting a slash of .275/.346/.531 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI in 422 at-bats this season....
Look who is back, BROTHER!
After taking a few days to mull over his options, Ryan Ludwick has reportedly agreed to re-sign with the Reds. Although the exact terms of the contract have not yet been released, rumor has it that the deal is good for two years at roughly $7 million per season. The agreement is pending a physical exam.
Ludwick experienced a bounceback campaign...
The Reds have been looking for a consistent leadoff hitter since the current iteration of the team began contention in 2010. Drew Stubbs was supposed to fill that role, but his performance has trended the wrong way since 2009 — after a sharp 105 wRC+ in 2010, Stubbs has posted marks of 90 and a brutal 64 in 2011 and 2012 respectively. Between Stubbs and Zack Cozart, Reds leadoff...
Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto was cleared to start throwing for the first time since he left Game 1 of the NLDS against the San Francisco Giants because of an oblique injury, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported Friday. Cueto was given the green light after being examined by Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek on Friday. He reportedly is expected to pitch for his...