Found November 11, 2012 on
Mets Merized Online:
A source has told Dan Martin of the New York Post that the Mets may very well bring back center fielder Andres Torres for another season.
A second straight brutal season at the plate likely means the Mets will non-tender Andres Torres, but the team has not ruled out the possibility of bringing back the center fielder, according to a source.
Despite hitting just .230 with a .664 OPS, Torres would be in line for a slight raise from the $2.7 million he made last season in arbitration. The Mets have no interest in paying that amount to Torres, who turns 35 in January, but could re-sign him for about half that.
I didn’t see that coming, but Martin says it’s a similar tactic the Mets will likely use with Mike Pelfrey after the right-hander underwent Tommy John surgery in May. That is to go ahead and non-tender them, and then try to re-sign them for less.
While I don’t mind seeing Pelfrey back on a minors deal while he rehabs, I gotta yell you, I’d be mortified to see Torres back again. Wi...
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
It is a tiny bit surprising that we do not have any kind of idea how the Mets are going to handle their two biggest starts — R.A. Dickey and David Wright. Sure, the club picked up the option on both players but would it really be a surprise if either one or both of those players were elsewhere come Opening Day? There has been very little concrete news about which direction...
Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog says he’s heard that Sandy Alderson and David Wright are just $20 million dollars apart on a new contract extension.
However, based on what I’m hearing, Wright’s camp is thinking seven years and at least $130 million guaranteed, while the Mets are thinking more like six years and around $110 million. Frankly, that’s close enough to make me confident...
The Mets announced today that they have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with catcher Mike Nickeas with an invite to Spring Training.
Nickeas elected free agency along with outfielder Fred Lewis earlier this week after being removed from the 40-man roster, however Nickeas will return to the Mets organization for 2013.
With one of the biggest holes on the Mets roster being...
This usually is a fun time of the year when you get to speculate where the top free agents will land. The Mets make it easy on us, because we know they won’t go after anybody of substance.
No offense, Mike Nickeas and Anthony Recker.
The most popular theory is the Mets will jump into the free-agent market when, 1) the Wilpons sell the team, 2) when they resolve their financial...
The Franchise: The Name Says It All
One of the many great things about the history of Baseball is the abundance of nicknames. Some are based around physical appearance of a player: The Splendid Splinter, Pee Wee, Three Finger, The Beard. For others, the way they played the game is summed up in a nickname: Mr. October, The Wizard, The Iron Horse, Nails. Other monikers can be classified...
The Mets announced they have named Jim Malone Strength and Conditioning Coordinator.
Malone, 45, was the Mets’ Strength and Conditioning Coach in 2002. He was the minor league Strength and Conditioning coordinator for the Kansas City Royals from 2000-2001 and the Cleveland Indians minor league Strength and Conditioning Coordinator from 2004-2005.
Malone spent the previous seven...
Photo by Michael BaronIt's not just the NY reporters who are speculating about Salty being on the block now that the Red Sox signed David Ross, Boston beat writers are also making the same conclusions.Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald also believes that the Ross signing could make Salty vulnerable and the Mets would be a fit. Lauber puts two and two together between the Mets...
The Mets are willing to deal R.A. Dickey.
Last week, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson opened up Pandora’s Box by expressing a willingness to deal the National League Cy Young Award finalist if the right opportunity came about.
Speaking at a banquet over the weekend –– where he received the Branch Rickey Award –– Dickey expressed a desire to stay in New York and continue...
R.A. Dickey had been talking with the New York Mets about a contract extension. Now it appears the New York Mets are fielding offers for the 38-year-old knuckleballer. It was assumed that the Mets would make an extension with Dickey a top priority this off season. Dickey is under contract for the 2013 season afor [...]
[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full...
Hear me discuss the breaking news from Mike Salfino about the Mets ownership situation. Brian Erni of Metsblog gives his thoughts on the failed Jason Bay signing and whether the Mets should trade David Wright and R.A. Dickey.
I break down the Yankees new budget during the second half hour with Sensei John Kreese of Nomaas.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
DOWNLOAD THE MP3
If you like to listen...
Jason WhitneySports-Kings - The Kings of Sports Lists
The Mets and their wallets on are on ice
A year ago at this time the Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers were in very similar situations. Both clubs were going through some difficult financial times, and we were hearing frequent rumblings about their respective owners having to sell their teams.
Fast forward a year, and the Dodgers have been sold for $2 billion, and went on a spending...