Found November 26, 2012 on
MLB Injury News:
The New York Mets have more interest in getting a long-term deal worked out for David Wright than they do for R.A. Dickey. This is obvious based on the players' ages. However, they would like to get both of them locked up, and the fans would love it. They just can't overspend in their quest to do so.
As Ken Davidoff of the New York Post writes, the Mets could use Ryan Zimmerman's deal with the Washington Nationals as a guide for working out something with Wright. But they won't stretch themselves thin to re-sign both Wright and Dickey. At least they shouldn't, he says.
Wright has been with the Mets since he came up in 2004. He was the 38th overall pick in the 2001 draft. His time with the Mets makes him the face of the franchise. The fans love him, and he's been one of the most productive third basemen in the league. Dickey, on the other hand, has just three seasons under his belt for the Mets. He's also 38 years old.
For fans, though, it's hard to part with either player. Wright is Mr. Met right now, and Dickey just won a Cy Young for that franchise. However, the team is doing the right thing in setting their priorities on Wright. He is just 30 years old and more likely to contribute on a daily basis for much longer than Dickey.
In a perfect world, though, the Mets would extend both. Wright and Dickey are under contract through next season as it stands now.
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
BEST OF MAXIM
The Mets have finally opened up there moth ridden Wallets and opened the dance with David Wright. He was offered a 6 year 100M on Monday. This of course will be a starting point. Wright I am sure once to go 7 and get a bit more per year. People seem to think that for some reason that Wright’s time with the Mets might be coming to a close the longer this takes. I don’t buy it...
David Wright and his agent offered commentary on the rumors about their contract negotiations with the Mets in statements to MLB Trade Rumors.
I have said from Day 1 that I want to play my entire career with the New York Mets. I remain hopeful that goal can be achieved. However, I am disappointed by the reports that I have read today which are inaccurate.
The New York Mets have offered David Wright a seven-year deal that is worth a little more than 100 million dollars. Earlier in the month Wright was offered less money, and one less year, but the Mets have finally upped their offer, and I would be surprised if Wright didn’t take it.
According to multiple sources the deal won’t go into effect until 2014, because it’s a contract...
It was three weeks ago when we elected a president. After a long, nasty, ugly, expensive and bitter campaign we survived and made it to Election Day. And boom! Just like that more than 57 million Americans, those who voted for Mitt Romney, were pissed off. No matter who would be sworn in in January, literally half this nation would be upset. It was really a no-win situation.
A few hours ago, I posted about the Mets initially lowballing a long-term contract offer to David Wright. Since then, things have gone in a different direction. The Mets have drastically increased their offer, going from six years and $100 million to eight years and $135-140 million.
Wright would make the $16 million he's due in 2013, the average value on the new contract...
Going into this offseason, the New York Mets have had two priorities: sign David Wright long-term, and give RA Dickey a contract extension. Neither has gone very far this fall, and the latest news on Wright is disturbing from the perspective of a Mets fan. New York offered their All-Star third baseman a six year, $100 million extension that's comparable to the extensions signed...
Contract extension negotiations between David Wright and the Mets have been bumpy.
Early on Tuesday, FOXSports.com reported the Mets offered their cornerstone third baseman a six-year, $100 million extension. It appeared the club was lowballing their six-time All-Star with that offer.
With Wright expected to refuse the initial terms, the Mets reportedly upped the ante for the 29...
Updated Post 11:15 AM
After making David Wright a six year, $100 million offer yesterday. As Ken Rosenthal predicted it was rejected, and now this from Andy Martino of the Daily News:
Like I’ve been saying, Wright will get a huge second generation contract from the Mets, and the masses will be appeased.
I’d be shocked if deal doesn’t get done by end of...
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Mets offered David Wright a six-year, $100 million extension on Monday, on top of the $16 million owed in 2013.
It’s the exact dollars and length of the deal that the Tampa Bay Rays gave to Evan Longoria yesterday. But Rosenthal says that the offer is expected to be rejected by Wright’s reps.
Wright is wanting more in both years...
This morning, Ken Rosenthal reported that the Mets offered David Wright a six year, $100 million extension, noting that it was an offer that Wright was sure to refuse. After all, the term sof the extension are basically equal to what the Nationals gave Ryan Zimmerman, and he was coming off a mediocre season and was two years away from free agency. Evan Longoria got a six year,...
Updated Post 3:30 PM
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports is now reporting that a source has revealed to him that the Mets counteroffer to David Wright is for seven years and between $125M and $150M.
If Mets are indeed offering Wright such a deal, Rosenthal adds, it seems unlikely he would reject it unless he wanted to be a free agent at end of season.
If it is $150 million, that would...
Yesterday, reports indicated that the New York Mets were offering third baseman David Wright a six-million, $100 million deal, but today things have changed apparently. Sources close to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports say that the Mets are now offering a seven-year deal in the $125-$150 million range.
Back in September Wright expressed his desire to stay with the Mets, but he also expressed...
Two years ago today, on November 24, 2010, this report from HoJo’s Mojo topped 12,000 unique reads and was what I considered to be the start of a 13 month, non-stop cycle of near-daily Jose Reyes news reports, rumors, and blog posts. It was the beginning of the end for Reyes, and when I personally started saying and writing that the All Star shortstop was as good as gone after...
Recent Wright contractual rumors…
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports:
The Mets offered Wright a six-year, $100 million contract extension on Monday, according to major-league sources. November 27, 2012
Can now report Mets have made Wright a 7 year offer well in excess of $100 mil, according to industry sources. Negotiations in process.
— Andy Martino (@SurfingTheMets) November 27,...
When I look at the current Mets’ 40-man roster there are few players where it would take a lot to pry away from the team. Matt Harvey is one of them, in fact, there’s a thought of re-doing his contract as to buy out his arbitration years.
I keep Harvey, of course. And, prospect Zack Wheeler.
NIESE: An untouchable Met?
Also on the list is Jonathan Niese, who...