Final: Phillies 5, Mets 6.
WP: Bobby Parnell (2-1, 2.91 ERA)
LP: Jonathan Papelbon (2-3, 3.45 ERA)
In order for the Philadelphia Phillies to climb out of the hole in the standings that they have dug themselves into, they must start to win as many series as possible in the final remaining months of the season. Tonight, unfortunately, they were not able to do just that.
Cole Hamels lasted seven innings, giving up four runs while striking out seven. With the lead in the 9th, Papelbon blew just his second save of the season.
The team travels back home to face the Atlanta Braves for the final series prior to the All-Star break.
- Jimmy Rollins was a home run short of the cycle. He went 3-3 tonight with two walks, two RBIs, and one run scored.
- Via Kevin Cooney: "Tonight is third time that R.A. Dickey has faced a team for 2nd time this year. In those three games, his ERA is now 8.27"
- Ruben Amaro Jr.: "We plan on being contenders in ’13, ’14, ’15 and ’16. So we’re not blowing this team up. That’s not going to happen, regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks. We plan on being contenders for the next several years, even if we don’t get to the finish line this year. We’d still view ourselves as contenders. It’s more about retooling than it is redoing. We’ve got a lot of players who are pretty damn good. I expect them to be playing next year for us."
- Ryan Howard will be reevaluated Friday by doctors. Charlie Manuel did not rule out a weekend return against the division-rival Atlanta Braves.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cole Hamels: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 2 HR, 3.20 ERA
- R.A. Dickey: 7.0 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR, 2.40 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Jon Rauch (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.02 ERA
- Tim Byrdak (8th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB,0 SO, 0 HR, 3.74 ERA
- Pedro Beato (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.86 ERA
- Bobby Parnell (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.91 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.45 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Mets 0): Shane Victorino singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Juan Pierre scores.
- Top of the 2nd (Phillies 2, Mets 0): Jimmy Rollins doubles (19) on a line drive to right fielder Lucas Duda. Placido Polanco scores.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Phillies 2, Mets 1): Scott Hairston homers (12) on a line drive to left center field.
- Bottom of the 3rd (Phillies 2, Mets 2): David Wright singles on a line drive to center fielder Shane Victorino. R.A. Dickey scores.
- Top of the 4th (Phillies 3, Mets 2): Hunter Pence singles on a ground ball to center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Mike Fontenot scores.
- Bottom of the 5th (Phillies 3, Mets 4): David Wright homers (11) on a fly ball to left field. Ruben Tejada scores.
- Top of the 6th (Phillies 4, Mets 4): Jimmy Rollins triples (4) on a line drive to right fielder Lucas Duda. Cole Hamels scores.
- Top of the 6th (Phillies 5, Mets 4): Juan Pierre out on a sacrifice bunt. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 9th (Phillies 5, Mets 5): Daniel Murphy singles on a ground ball to pitcher Jonathan Papelbon. Ronny Cedeno scores.
- Bottom of the 9th (Phillies 5, Mets 6): David Wright singles on a soft fly ball to right fielder Hunter Pence. Jordany Valdespin scores.
- Friday, July 6, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (37-47) vs. Atlanta Braves (43-39)
- Kyle Kendrick (2-8, 5.35 ERA) vs. Tim Hudson (6-4, 3.87 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?