Final: Rockies 6, Phillies 7.
WP: Jonathan Papelbon (1-2, 2.28 ERA)
LP: Rafael Betancourt (1-3, 3.28 ERA)
Joe Blanton went seven innings tonight and exited the game in a five to five tie. Jonathan Papelbon allowed the go-ahead run in the 9th for Colorado, but the Phillies' offense answered in the bottom-half.
Hunter Pence tied the game with two outs, doubling on a line drive to left field which scored Ty Wigginton. Placido Polanco brought the winning run home, as he reached on an error by Todd Helton, scoring Pence from third base.
Vance Worley will start Thursday night, in search of a victory and a series sweep for his team.Notes:
- LHP Raul Valdes recalled from LV, taking C Erik Kratz's roster spot.
- Utley Watch: Chase played eight innings at 2B tonight for Clearwater (2-3, HR).
- Joe Blanton retired the final 11 batters he faced.
- Carlos Ruiz leads all of baseball in hit-by-pitches with 11. (He was hit by M. Belisle in the 8th)
- Going into tonight, the Phillies were 1-9 when tied after eight innings.
- Hunter Pence is homerless in his last (73 at-bats), but he tied the game late in the 9th and scored the winning run.
- Every member of the Phillies' starting lineup got a hit tonight except the 5th-hole hitter, Carlos Ruiz (0-2, 2 BB).
- Via Todd Zolecki: Papelbon entered tonight with a 0.00 ERA in 17 save opportunities and a 5.79 ERA in 10 non-save opportunities.
- The Phillies were 0-28 when trailing going into their final at-bat in 9th inning. They finally ended that skid tonight.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Joe Blanton: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 3 HR, 5.04 ERA
- Alex White: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 0 SO, 1 HR, 6.06 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Matt Reynolds (4th): 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.72 ERA
- Jeremy Guthrie (5th, 6th, 7th): 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 6.68 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.42 ERA
- Matt Belisle (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.19 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.28 ERA
- Rafael Betancourt (9th): 0.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.28 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Rockies 0, Phillies 1): Hunter Pence grounds out. Juan Pierre scores.
- Top of the 2nd (Rockies 3, Phillies 1): Wilin Rosario homers (10) on a fly ball to center field. Jordan Pacheco, Chris Nelson score.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Rockies 3, Phillies 4): Michael Martinez homers (1) on a fly ball to center field. Placido Polanco, John Mayberry score.
- Top of the 3rd (Rockies 4, Phillies 4): Michael Cuddyer homers (11) on a line drive to left field.
- Top of the 4th (Rockies 5, Phillies 4): Chris Nelson homers (4) on a fly ball to center field.
- Bottom of the 4th (Rockies 5, Phillies 5): Jimmy Rollins doubles (16) on a fly ball to right fielder Michael Cuddyer. John Mayberry scores.
- Top of the 9th (Rockies 6, Phillies 5): Dexter Fowler singles on a sharp ground ball to right fielder Hunter Pence. Wilin Rosario scores.
- Bottom of the 9th (Rockies 6, Phillies 6): Hunter Pence doubles (12) on a line drive to left fielder Carlos Gonzalez. Ty Wigginton scores.
- Bottom of the 9th (Rockies 6, Phillies 7): Placido Polanco reaches on missed catch error by first baseman Todd Helton. Hunter Pence scores.
- Thursday, June 21, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (33-37) vs. Colorado Rockies (25-42)
- Vance Worley (3-3, 2.80 ERA) vs. Jeff Francis (0-1, 12.46 ERA)
- TV: CSN, MLBN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?