Kim and David DeJesus
One day. One day away. It is such a good feeling. And after a week of done deals, not so done deals, possible federal regulations violations and a way-to-healthy dose of speculation, it is almost time to throw the ball and catch the ball and hit the ball, and for Tony Campana, run around the bases … fast.
So, let’s celebrate the beginning of the Spring Training and prepare ourselves to hear “Hope springs eternal” way too many times by doing some rambling. Jump in below. Let’s have a great talk today, you guys.
• As I wrote last week, you just have to love the hot stove. A few nights ago, the Cubs had a deal in place and Jorge Soler had agreed with the Cubs.
• Then, rumors began swirling the Cubs had violated a federal regulation by having a deal in place with Soler because he had not officially became a Dominican resident.
• Now it is all up in the air and the Phillies and Yankees are the frontrunners. So, basically, he will sign with the Marlins. Especially because the Marlins said they had no interest in him.
• The incessant hating of Ricketts is near-sighted, idiotic and unfair. Also, I must clarify this. He has not raised ticket prices for two years. They went down last year. For those that keep saying this, you are absolutely and entirely wrong.
• Stop using lies to make an already ridiculously weak and obnoxious case.
• Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
• I really hope Marlon Byrd is gone by April. I have nothing against Byrd, and I value his heart and hustle a ton. You don’t see that much anymore. However, unless he completely falters in the spring, B-Jax time has arrived.
• If anyone from Vineline is reading this, please hire Ben Miraski. You would be doing yourself a favor. His contributions to the CCO have been great, and he has the experience you require.
• ONE DAY.
• That has so many meanings when it comes to the Cubs.
• No one player can turn everything around. Especially an unproven teenager from Cuba. We should remember this.
• That said, I would be stoked if the Cubs to make a splash and sign the 19-year-old.
• I swear, if Fukudome hits .310 and knocks in 75 runs, I am going to get really angry. Like “George is getting upset” level of angry.
• RIP, Gary Carter. A true gentleman and ambassador of the game. I may not have liked the Mets, but I always respected Gary Carter.
• And maybe it is because he resembled the main character in the often forgotten Gary Coleman baseball classic “The Kid from Left Field.”
• If you haven’t seen that movie, hop on Amazon, make a purchase, and dust off the VCR. Fantastic stuff.
• I have a weird desire for Alfredo Amezaga to make the team. I cannot explain it. It just exists. It’s like my crush on Michelle Tafoya, I can’t explain it, it just exists.
• And trust me, if you make fun of me for the latter, you won’t be saying anything I haven’t heard from my friends for the past few years.
• As the weeks go by, it becomes more realistic that Garza signs an extension with the Cubs. And the media seems to feel that way as well. Which all means he will be traded by the end of Spring Training.
• Okay, I know this is a ridiculous statement. I know it. But for as bad as the Cubs are going to be, the NL Central is going to be atrocious. I would have to put my money on the Reds right now.
• Think about it. The Cardinals lost Pujols, LaRussa and Duncan. All three are huge blows. Brewers lost Prince and possibly Braun for 50 games. The Pirates are improving, but imploded after the All-Star Break and the Astros are awful.
• So just in time for Spring Training, let’s start chugging that Cubbie Kool-Aid!!
Let’s hear your thoughts on the NL Central and things Cubs below. Also, if you have an off-the-wall or rather odd crush, please share that as well, if only to make me feel better.
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff