Alistair Overeem is just one of eight combat fighters seeking to secure a license at the Nevada State Athletic Commission's monthly meeting on Tuesday.
The commission is expected to allow Overeem -- who was suspended nine months after violating Nevada's performance-enhancing-drugs policy -- to resume his MMA career with a bout against Antonio Silva at UFC 156 next month.
A denial of his license not only means UFC matchmakers will have to find Silva a new opponent. It also sends the heavyweight division into flux.
UFC president Dana White said the winner of Overeem-Silva would likely face Junior dos Santos, who lost his title at UFC 155 to Cain Velasquez on Dec. 29. Dos Santos had told White previously that he was particularly looking to fight Overeem, somebody the soft-spoken dos Santos called a "punk."
Messages left with Overeem's attorney, David Chesnoff, were not immediately returned.
Overeem was found to have had elevated levels of testosterone in an out-of-competition screening last March. Since it was his first positive for a performance-enhancing drug, Overeem was given the standard nine-month ban.
"Big time," NSAC executive director Keith Kizer told FOXSports.com when asked how seriously the commission takes such a positive. "This is way up there."
Overeem reapplied for his license on Dec. 27, the first day he was eligible to do so.
"They will run through all the issues, just like in the other drug cases before them," Kizer said. "He's one of three steroid cases."
According to Kizer, the commission can do more than just approve or reject his license. Members can also put stipulations on a decision, including mandating increased testing.