Found December 30, 2011 on
Paul Pierce's return to the line-up was the big story for the Celtics against the Pistons
Thoughts I thought
- Paul Pierce’s return was easily the most important thing these Boston Celtics needed to finally get into the win column. It was clear from the get go that Paul Pierce was trying to be aggressive and prove that he was ready to return. He got to the basket, got himself open for jump shots and played good defense. Even when the play wasn’t going through him, his presence opened up the entire offense because the Pistons had to respect him at all times. This opened up the floor for everyone else on the offense. He finished with only 12 points, but he was much more important than that to the Boston Celtics tonight.
- Okay, okay, I know he airballed a long-three in the second quarter, but Rajon Rondo and his jumper looks so much better this year which has me increasingly excited about his season. No longer is he worried about coming off screens and having no passing lanes because teams are playing him five feet off. Now, he turns the corner, sees an open shot and takes it. When he pulled back and took a three in the first quarter, I was fine with it because he was open and his shooting stroke looks that much better. He’s attempted 7 threes this year and hit 3 of them. It’s not his shot, but slowly but surely, teams are gonna have to defend him on the perimeter and that’s when Rondo will be extremely dangerous.
- Acording to Celtics color commentator Tommy Heinson, Greg Stiemsma is the greatest thing to ever happen to this team. Kid hustles, and plays moderately okay defense, but once again, I don’t think he can be your answer as a back-up big man. When Kevin Garnett’s legs betray him in February and Jermaine O’ Neal’s right leg shrivels up and dies, do you really trust Greg Stiemsma to lock down the middle of the Celtics defense? I didn’t think so.
- Brandon Bass has to be the early favorite for for sixth man of the year. After his 17 point performance tonight, he’s averaging a 15/7 in 28 minutes of play. The only thing left to fix with him is his defense is not up to par as say… Glen Davis’ was last year, but you have KG to teach him the defensive skills when the Celtics finally get to practice. Brandon Bass will continue to have to put these numbers up because, again, Kevin Garnett might lose his knee by February.
Questions I still have
- Good god…is that… IS THAT JERMAINE O’ NEAL’S MUSIC? The better question is whether or not Jermaine O’ Neal can repeat this performance he had tonight down the road. The good news is that he had a 19/7 tonight and lead the team in scoring. Any time Jermaine O’ Neal is leading the team in scoring it either means they are doing extremely well or getting blown out by 20 with no in between. Tonight, because they got enough of an effort from everyone else, it was a good thing. The bad news is that Jermaine O’ Neal put up these numbers against the dynamic duo of Greg Monroe and the corpse of Ben Wallace. Basically, his match-up was pretty favorable from him tonight and if he didn’t have a good game I was going to have major questions about him. Still, nice performance from him tonight. Don’t want to be too negative.
- How will the Celtics perform this weekend? Celtics get tomorrow night off (likely to fly to Washington) then play Washington on Sunday night and then fly back to Boston for a game on Monday night. First of all I would like to thank the NBA scheduling committee for being complete ass holes and making us go down the I-95 corridor for less than 24 hours before sending us back home instead of letting us play Sunday at home and than sending us to D.C for a Monday game. That’s neither here nor there, but god forbid the Celtics get to sleep in their own bed this week. I’m more concerned with the flying and the hotel sleeping and the back to back. The Celtics are notoriously awful in back to backs and the Washington Wizards aren’t exactly tops in the league. I would like to see a good effort both nights and come back 3-3, but sorry for having my doubts.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Twitter / @sheridanhoops: Word from the #Celtics thi ... via kwout
OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE...
Dear God... I promise I'll be totally good for the rest of the year if you make Pierce healthy enough to play tonight.
Still, though. The Pierce thing would totally be great. Thanks!
The Celtics, after an 0-3 start, need all the help they can get right now. They may be on the verge of getting back one of the best players in the history of the franchise. Paul Pierce, who hasn't played a game this season because of a right heel injury, gave an update on his status on Thursday night via Twitter. "I'm close very very close very," the Celtics'...
I’m not saying it’s time to panic if the Celtics lose to the Pistons tonight, but it might be time to panic if the Celtics lose to the Pistons tonight.
Perhaps all the Boston Celtics needed was their best player. Losers of their first three games this season, the Celtics welcomed back Paul Pierce and then welcomed themselves to the win column with a 96-85 victory over the Detroit Pistons.
In his debut, Pierce had 12 points, five assists and four rebounds. He hit half of his eight shots from the field and both of his free throws...
(source feed provided no summary content for this entry)
There are no “must win” games in the first week of the season. But the 0-3 Celtics sure could use one Friday night. And they might have Paul Pierce to get it. Here is the latest, via Chris Sheridan of Sheridanhoops.com. Word from the Celtics this morning is that Paul Pierce will be a game-time…
Paul Pierce had 12 points in his season debut, and Boston finally broke into the win column with a 96-85 decision over the Detroit Pistons.
Herald Paul Pierce provides boost
Truth always best
Doc talk turns Frank
Pietrus arrives with plenty of smiles
O’Neal answers critics
Final: Celtics 96, Pistons 85
Jermaine O’Neal on his resurgent performance: “I’m a fighter”
Globe Video: Postgame interviews
Room to maneuver
Jermaine O’Neal can make big impact on Celtics
Jermaine O'Neal shines in Celtics...
The panic that ensued after the Boston Celtics dropped the first 3 games of the 2011-2012 season hopefully will subside a bit as the Celts take down the Pistons in the first home game of the season, 96-85. More importantly than the win even was the return of the Captain, Paul Pierce. Paul played almost [...]
NEW ORLEANS -- Jarrett Jack's first regular-season start since the Chris Paul trade was more than good enough for the New Orleans Hornets. Jack had 21 points and nine assists in his season debut, and New Orleans dominated in its home opener, beating the winless Boston Celtics 97-78 on Wednesday night. The Celtics are 0-3 for the first time since 2006-07, the season before they...
When Jermaine O'Neal's final jump shot snapped through the net in the fourth quarter, the Celtics center didn't seem the least bit surprised. O'Neal considers himself a capable scorer, even if the evidence -- eight total points in the Celtics' first three games -- says otherwise at this point in his career. O'Neal was finally able to contribute offensively...
The Pistons waded into a perfect storm in Boston, facing a winless Celtics team celebrating both their home opener and the return of Paul Pierce. After a competitive first half, Boston's scorching third quarter overwhelmed the Pistons, who come home for a New Year's Eve battle with Indiana in hopes of cracking the win column, Keith Langlois writes for True Blue Pistons.
Herald No defending Celtics play
Paul Pierce ‘very close’ to return
Derrick Rose fulfills vow with aggressive play as Bulls defeat Kings
Lakers out in force for this one against the Knicks
Kevin Durant’s buzzer-beating three leaves Mavericks winless as Thunder triumphs
Kevin Garnett to get limited stake in Roma soccer club
Globe Game 4: Pistons at Celtics
8 a.m.: With a home win in their back pocket, the Celtics return to the road Sunday to take on the winless Wizards. Unlike almost every other team in the league, Washington (0-3) has yet to play on consecutive nights. That will change Sunday and Monday when they play a home-and-home two-game set against the Celtics. The Celtics' starting lineup is expected to be at full strength...