Don't look now, but the Washington Wizards are the second hottest team in the league.
San Antonio always takes the limelight. Let's just get this out of the way so I can go on and rant.
The Wizards destroyed the Bobcats last night 101-73. John Wall looked like an NBA first-team point guard, Jan Vesely looked like the Czech Larry Bird, Kevin Seraphin continues to show why he's the most improved player in the league over the last 20 games and most importantly, the Wizards extend Charlotte's losing streak. So what do Wizards fans get in return?
Do they get a playoff spot?
Do they get the number one overall pick again?
Instead, they get a contract renewal of the person who assembled everything together DURING the team's most impressive win of the season.
Talk about flying under the radar. Good One Ted. Way to cater to your crowd. That's another DJ reference for those of you keeping track at home.
Quite frankly, I've had enough of this franchise turning the "other cheek" and failing to address the issues at hand. The reason why this team has underachieved, despite it's recent string of great play, is because of the people who are in charge of putting the personnel together.
Ernie's made such a mess in the kitchen, that hiring someone else to clean it up would only make it worse. Think about that for a second. Imagine living in a house that's so dirty, that hiring a maid would only do more damage. The Wizards have forced their own hand here. They had the chance to cut all ties early in the year and they chose not to. Just because you win four in a row and now have a chance to win 20 games this season (out of 66) doesn't mean that you get my praise Ernie. You swept the Bobcats. Great job. You're also 2-12 against the Miami Heat over the last 3 seasons. You've won 4 in a row for the first time in 4 years. *Fannie Pat* ANDRAY BLATCHE IS STILL ON THIS TEAM!!!
That's a different topic for another day. There's a lot we can talk about as far individual performances. The team playing it's best basketball at the most meaningless time of the year, again. Optimism going in to next season is high, again. People think that this roster can compete for a playoff spot next year, AGAIN. I think I speak for all Wizards/Bullets fans when I say, "BEEN THERE, HEARD THAT."
For now, let's focus on the numbers.
14. Assists for John Wall. This is now the third game in a row in which the former number 1 overall pick has recorded double digit assist totals. The Wiz Kids are 7-10 overall in games where John Wall records double digit assists. It's also the 17th time this year he's recorded double digit assist totals!
28. This ties the largest margin of victory this team has recorded all year. The other time they beat an NBA team by that many points? You guessed it, The Bobcats back on April 9th.
19. The average margin of victory the Wizards have won against the Bobcats all year (4-0). Can we play Charlotte 82 times a year?
21. The amount of consecutive games the Bobcats have lost after last night's game.
.594% The Wizards winning percentage all time versus the Charlotte Bobcats. Good job Ernie, you've assembled a roster that can beat the worst team in the league. You get a raise! The only other team they have a better winning percentage against is the Clippers.
20. The amount of wins the Wizards can get if they win their next 2 games. When we talked to Steve Buckhantz earlier in the year, he predicted that they would win right around 20. It looked like a slim chance a few weeks back, but now it's a reality. Ernie gets the credit.
100. Jan Vesely's shooting percentage last night. I know, we're all still recovering from that. Good pick Ernie!
12. The amount of air balls both teams combined to chuck up. 10 courtesy of Charlotte. That's actually not Ernie's fault…directly.
After all that, you come out of Verizon Center with a 101-73 victory for the good guys and the empty feeling of "what could have been" if this team applied themselves like this earlier in the season.
Here's to Summer League and another NBA draft!
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff