Found August 17, 2012 on
Fox Sports Detroit:
The Detroit Lions were 14-2 the last four years in the preseason, but they opened last week with a 19-17 loss to Cleveland.
The second of their four exhibitions comes up Friday night (8 p.m. on FOX) in Baltimore. Here are five storylines to follow:
1. Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and the first-team offense failed to score on three possessions in the opener. It wont be easy for them to get in sync against a top-notch defense like the Ravens, either.
2. The Lions have a bad reputation nationally because of some undisciplined on-field actions, not to mention all those arrests. This is their first shot on national TV (FOX, 8 p.m.) to show theyre more than a bunch of troublemakers.
3. Defensive end Cliff Avril is expected to make his first preseason appearance after not reporting for the opening week of camp. His teammates are calling him Money since he signed a one-year, 10.6 million franchise tender.
4. It will be a homecoming of sorts for coach Jim Schwartz, who grew up just outside Baltimore. The last time he took his team back there, the Lions got blown out, 48-3, in December 2009, his first year as a head coach.
5. Since No. 3 quarterback Kellen Moore completed only 4-of-14 passes last week, R.J. Archer (William & Mary) has been receiving quite a few more reps in practice. It appears he could get a shot at some point in the second half.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Kellen Moore did not do anything to hurt his quest for a roster spot with the Detroit Lions on Friday night in Baltimore. But he may not have helped it much, either. Continue reading →
Hopefully, that doesn’t include their arrest record. Lion Head Coach Jim Schwartz has done a great job turning the once futile Lions into a legitimate playoff contender. However, maturity plagues this team, and if the Lions are to improve on their 2011 campaign, there are going to be adjustments on and off the field. While Schwartz didn’t talk about his team off season troubles...
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Wednesday that Lions RB Jahvid Best could very well begin the 2012 regular season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list meaning he would have to sit out the first six weeks of the season.
Best’s inability to get himself into camp stem from multiple concussions last season, one in the preseason and the other coming on October 16th in a loss...
The Lions first team looked much better this week in a 27-12 preseason win over the Ravens Friday night from Baltimore.
Matthew Stafford looked very much like the dominant QB he was last season going 12 for 17 for 184 yards and two touchdowns. This included an impressive 18 yard connection with Calvin Johnson for the score. Less than five minutes later Stafford continued to look...
Who would have thought that the Lions could come back from a record-setting 0-16 season in 2008 only to make it to the playoffs in 2011?
Lions fans, of course, and even analysts predicting that without such an abysmal year the Lions couldn’t have picked up the young Georgia quarterback to begin their comeback journey. What does 2012 have in store for Detroit?
Let’s take a look...
BALTIMORE (AP) -- Matthew Stafford threw two touchdown passes, Calvin Johnson had five catches for 111 yards and a score, and the Detroit Lions beat the Baltimore Ravens 27-12 in a preseason game Friday night.
Stafford went 12 for 17 for 184 yards in four possessions. He failed to produce a score in three drives last week against Cleveland, then came up empty in his first two series...
On Lions LIVE 6, Downtown and Adam will take a look at the following topics with thee Detroit Football Lions.
Preseason week 2 recap against Baltimore.
Injury updates in training camp and after week 2.
Jahvid Best probably starting the season on the PUP list, is his career done though?
Tune in and listen LIVE at 1:30PM ET on DETROIT.THEMAJORS.NET!
Especially with the injuries in the offensive backfield, Stefan Logan is seeing his role expand with the Detroit Lions.
In this episode of Lions LIVE, Downtown, Adam and The Champ recap the Great Lakes Classic and whether or not any positives can be taken from the game. This includes Bill Bentley’s first game as a Lions, Ndamukong Suh and his efforts to put last season behind him and the continued chemistry between Matthew Stafford and the first team offense.
Calvin "Megatron" Johnson showed why he gets paid the big bucks... He made one of the most outstanding TD catches over CB Jimmy Smith I've ever witnessed... Ravens broadcaster Jerry Sandusky called it an "Alley Oop off shoulder" reception, something that's almost impossible to draw up on a play diagram...The Ravens unveiled their new no-huddle or "...
Big turning point in the preseason preparation of the Ravens comes in the form of the explosive Detroit Lions, who invade Baltimore on the evening of August 17, 2012...The big story for the Lions on Wednesday was the return of Mikel Leshoure. The running back took part in individual drills, but still sat out the team portions of practice. He is not expected to play against the Ravens...
We're in Allen Park, Mich., about 20 minutes west of downtown Detroit and Ford Field, the regular season home of the Lions. Continue reading →
The Detroit Lions improved to 1-1 on the preseason with a 27-12 over the Ravens on a rainy night in Baltimore. Continue reading →