Wesley Sneijder's future at Inter Milan has been thrown into doubt after he reportedly refused to re-negotiate his deal with the club.
Sneijder is contracted to the Nerazzurri until 2015 but is currently involved in a dispute with his employers, who are rumoured to be pushing the influential playmaker to take a pay cut.
He met with club officials on Monday in a bid to resolve the situation although a statement released by his management to ad.nl would seem to suggest the matter is not yet closed.
"In this way, there is little reason for me to sign," he said.
His outburst is in stark contrast to what Inter president Massimo Moratti told reporters outside his offices in Milan.
The 67-year-old, who last week denied accusations the Serie A club were blackmailing one of their key players, expressed his belief that Monday's meeting was a success.
"I think a lot of this has come from the media and obviously we're trying to agree on certain things, otherwise...