Found November 23, 2013 on BlackSportsOnline:
Jay Bilas has been saying this for quite some time now, but when the most winningest D-1 men’s basketball coach says it, you have to pay attention. The Charlotte Observer is reporting that Duke’s head coach Mike Krzyzewski believes that college basketball needs a commissioner, somebody whose only focus is on the day to day operations of NCAA basketball. “Who’s in charge?” Krzyzewski said a day before his team met Louisville in the Elite Eight in late March. “Well, who, though? No, President (Mark) Emmert is in charge of the entire NCAA. He’s got a huge job. There should be somebody in charge of college basketball who does this on a day-to-day basis and understands everything about it. “When they put the dirt on me, inside, underneath the dirt, I’m still going to be yelling for somebody to run college basketball.” More from The Charlotte Observer: The commissioner could serve as college basketball’s CEO and be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the sport, a business with revenues approaching $1 billion annually. By streamlining leadership, changes to the game could be made more quickly than with the current committee-driven structure. Emmert, the NCAA president, has said he is open to dramatic changes in the governance structure and has pledged to review the idea of a commissioner at the organization’s January convention with the goal of having new proposals adopted in April. None of the other NCAA-governed sports have commissioners. Men’s college basketball generates nearly all of the NCAA’s revenue – the organization projects that 90 percent ($712 million of $797 million) of its 2012-13 revenue will come from the TV broadcast deal with CBS Sports and Turner Broadcasting alone. Most of the remaining 10 percent will come from ticket and merchandise sales at NCAA championships, with the men’s basketball Final Four the largest contributor. With college basketball on the decline, I think it is time for the NCAA to hire a commissioner just for the sport. Although it is bringing in $1 billion annually, it is still lagging behind college football in terms of attendance and television ratings. Plus Krzyzewski said it and he’s always right when it comes to college basketball.
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

No. 6 Duke narrowly dodges Vermont upset bid

His roster is loaded with blue-chip talent and high school All-Americans. Yet Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski knows his sixth-ranked Blue Devils aren't good enough to win by simply showing up. Vermont proved it to them Sunday night. Out-of-sync -- and overconfident -- Duke needed a free throw from Rodney Hood with 5 seconds left to dodge the Catamounts' upset bid and win 91...

Duke lucky to sneak by Vermont 91-90

Mike Krzyzewski said it best following Duke’s one point victory over Vermont when he said “we were awful.”  The Blue Devils certainly were not. Krzyzewski also said his team didn’t respect the game or the opponent a condemnation that has rarely if ever has been uttered by the hall of fame coach, but he had reason to say it. Duke struggled to put away the Catamounts...
Blue Devils News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.