Since the college football schedule was announced many months ago, several looked to Week 6 as one of the defining ones of the season. Several key games dot the schedule, including two SEC showdowns which could eventually determine not only this conference, but also the National Championship race as well, in addition to West Virginia’s first road trip in the Big XII.
And on Wednesday we had a couple of our favorite guests on the show to break all the big games down, Bleacher Report SEC writer Barrett Sallee to break down Georgia-South Carolina and Florida-LSU, as well as West Virginia beat writer Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail to talk about the Mountaineers road trip to Austin.
To listen to the podcast on this website, click the green box below
To download the podcast straight from iTunes, please click here
To subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast, please click here
To listen to the podcast on your iPhone or Android please click here
It was a fun-filled, action-packed show, starting with Barrett, who discussed the following topics with me:
- How the SEC continues to re-invent itself every year. Two years ago the league was about the dominance of the SEC West, last year the emergence of Alabama and LSU, and now this year the East. Speaking of which, has the East now surpassed the West as the best division in college football?
- Staying with the Georgia-South Carolina game, what happened with Georgia’s defense last week against Tennessee? Also, South Carolina’s offense is different than last year, yes. But is it possible that "different" could mean better?
- Moving over to the “other” game in the SEC this weekend, is Florida the biggest surprise in college football? Also, although LSU is 5-0, something hasn’t looked right. What does Barrett equate that to?
- Finally, Barrett makes his picks on these two games.
Moving over to the Big XII, we welcomed back veteran West Virginia beat writer Mike Casazza onto the show, who had previously been on to discuss his book “Waiting for the Fall.” On Tuesday he was back to discuss the following subjects:
- How much fun has it been to cover Geno Smith on a day-to-day basis? Also, is it possible that despite the stats he’s putting up, Smith might actually be a little bit underrated at this point in the season?
- How Smith’s off the field pursuits in the arts help Smith be a better quarterback. Also, why even in success, Smith continues to be the hardest worker on this Mountaineers team.
- Can West Virginia’s defense hold up for four quarters against a much-improved Texas passing attack? Also, were the Longhorns struggles against Oklahoma State last week a positive or negative for West Virginia as it pertains to this game?
- Finally, Mike shares a couple key matchups in this game.
Remember, you can access the podcast in any number of ways. If you can’t listen to the show live here, you can always download it straight from iTunes, just by searching for the “Aaron Torres Sports Podcast.” You can also subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast by clicking here.
Also for updates on the show, my writing and much more, be sure to follow on Twitter @Aaron_Torres and Facebook and you can join his once weekly mailing list for updates on articles, podcasts and giveaways by e-mailing at ATorres00@gmail.com. Also, be sure to follow both Barrett (@BarrettSallee) and Mike (@MikeCasazza) as well.
And finally (and maybe most importantly to some of you!), please remember that Exclusiv Vodka is now an official sponsor of the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast. And as a thank you for listening, they want to give you a free bottle of their product.
To be entered all you’ve got to do is go to Exclusiv’s Facebook page at Facebook.com/ExclusivVodka. From there, be sure to “Like” their product, and then tag yourself with Exclusiv and the phrase “Aaron Torres Sports Podcast.” Do that, and you’ll be automatically entered to win a free bottle.
Regardless, I want to quickly thank the guys for joining the show, and thank you for taking the time to listen.
Until next time…
College Football News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff