• Joe Gibbs Racing’s Nationwide Series program was a force to be reckoned with at Darlington Raceway this weekend. The four-car team’s qualifying efforts locked them into the top-four positions heading into Friday night’s VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero 200.
• In his first Nationwide Series race at Darlington since 2010, Brian Vickers qualified fourth. On lap 22 of 147, the first of four cautions came out, and Vickers reported that his DG Camry was too tight. Crew chief Kevin Kidd called for four tires, fuel and adjustments to help free up the racecar. Vickers restarted in sixth on lap 27.
• The handling of Vickers’ racecar steadily improved as the race went on. On lap 83, running in third, Vickers radioed in that he was beginning to feel a vibration in the car. As the condition got worse, he was forced to bring the No. 20 Dollar General Toyota to pit road under green flag conditions on lap 90.
• On the stop, the crew discovered that a loose wheel was what caused the problem. Vickers was back out on the track with four new tires and fuel, but was now scored one lap down. The leaders began to pit under green on lap 109. Vickers stayed out and was back on the lead lap in third when a timely caution came out on lap 118
• The DG pit crew made their final pit stop of the night under the yellow, and Vickers was positioned sixth for the restart on lap 124. The remainder of the 147-lap event was run under green-flag conditions, and all four Joe Gibbs Racing Camrys drove through the checkers in the top-five. Vickers locked in a third place finish in his Dollar General Toyota, while teammates Kyle Busch, Elliott Sadler and Matt Kenseth finished first, second and fifth respectively.
• Vickers third place finish was his fourth top-five finish and fifth top-10 finish of the 2013 season. The 29-year-old driver advanced three positions in the Nationwide Series Championship point standings to fifth following Friday night’s race.
• In recognition of Vickers’ top-10 finish at Darlington Raceway this weekend, a 10 percent discount on all online Dollar General purchases will be offered on Monday, May 13. Visit www.dollargeneral.com to take advantage of this exclusive offer.
Brian Vickers’ Post-Race Thoughts: “This Dollar General Toyota was so strong. I’m really proud of the guys — we came in when I had a loose wheel. We lost a lot of track position at that point and we had a late car, but I can’t get over these guys. They have given me just incredible pit stops all year long. It’s frustrating because it’s a team effort, but all in all we’re very proud of the effort. Just a little disappointed. We had a winning car and I wanted to win.”
“I think we really are getting close to a win. The last two weeks we were probably one of the better cars on the race track. We just need to figure out how to start there and make no mistakes during the race and I think we’ll have the win. It would have been a pretty special place to have one here — this is one of my favorite race tracks. But this is still good.”