Found February 24, 2013 on
New York Knicks
Knicks 99 Sixers 93
Let me first start off by saying congratulations to the New York Knicks for breaking their 4 game losing streak. Tonight’s win was proof that consistent ball movement and hard work leads to wins. Not only did the Knicks win tonight but the Brooklyn Nets also lost a heartbreaker to the Memphis Grizzlies at the Barclays Center. With this win and the Nets loss, the Knicks are now 2 games up in the Atlantic and a half game back of the Indiana Pacers for 2nd in the East. Knicks win 99-93.
Things That Looked Good:
- Carmelo Anthony had it going tonight, It goes show you, if you drive to the basket good things will come your way. He was 16-18 from the line tonight with 29 points. He shot 6-18 from the field, which is a far cry from his usual 25 shots a game. This is a great stat if you’re looking for your team to win. Not only did Melo get to the line but he is also a killer at the mid-range jumper, probably the best in the business.
- Amar’e “STAT” Stoudemire was on an offensive binge tonight, he was 9-10 from the field with 22 points. He played 21 minutes; imagine if he played a solid 30 minutes, what would he bring to the table?
- The way that Raymond Felton penetrates to the basket and finishes with ease is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately he is the only guard on the Knicks that can do this. Without Felton the Knicks are in serious trouble.
- JR Smith was all around great tonight. He shot 5-12 tonight, but I thought he was under control most of the night.
- Tyson Chandler was in a grumpy mood tonight on the court. All Knicks fans must be happy about that. He grabbed 12 rebounds and blocked 3 shots. He came to Melo’s aid, as Spencer Hawes got in Melo’s face and Tyson pushed him away, defending his teammate. This is the toughness the Knicks have been looking for the last month. It is important to be tough, aggressive and defend your teammates, without going over the edge, which the Knicks have a habit of doing.
Things That Need to Improve:
- Jason Kidd once again was quiet. He played 26 minutes grabbing an impressive 9 boards, however shot 1-7 from the field, 0-6 from three, adding only 3 points. If this was any other player on the team he would be on the bench. Kidd has gone through a horrible stretch of games.
- Shump was active early on the D, but his lateral movement is still not there. He and the rest of the guards continue to get beat off the dribble causing the defense to collapse. It will take Shump a full year to get back to his usual self, cross your fingers!
- The Knicks looked like winners tonight, however they need to start playing consistently on both ends of the court for any of us to believe they can advance in the playoffs.
Overall, the New York Knicks got a much-needed victory against a struggling, injury depleted 76ers team. NY overcame a sluggish, poor shooting 1st quarter to take control of the game from the 2nd period on. With a late run by the Sixers, the Knicks showed that they could close out games. This was something that this team needed to do. Now is not the time to be complacent. This team must stay hungry and angry. Go after every team like it’s their last. Winning cures all problems.
Kenyon Martin did not get in to the game, but I expect to see him play Wednesday against the Warriors. If Kenyon could give the Knicks a solid 15 minutes of toughness and intimidation, then they will be headed in the right direction.
Peter A – Knickswag
The post Knicks Break Losing Streak with 99-93 Victory appeared first on Knickswag - A New York Knicks Blog - News, Rumors, and more!.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Things got a bit heated in the Knicks and 76es game on Sunday night. Carmelo Anthony and Spencer Hawes were fighting for position down low and Carmelo may have thrown an arm at Hawes. Tyson Chandler was quick to come to Carmelo’s defense after the play. It’s hard to definitively prove that ‘Melo threw an arm or punch from the angles given, but it will definitely be under league...
IT'S AN HONOR
Carmelo Anthony will always be the king of Syracuse for the amazing run he took the Cuse on during the NCAA tournament in 2003. Melo as a freshman, led the Orange to their first national title when they defeated Kansas. Fast forward 10 years and Syracuse hung up the #15 in the Carrier Dome rafters today during halftime of their final Big East meeting ever against the Georgetown...
Knicks fans will rejoice in the news that Carmelo Anthony will not be facing a suspension for laying his hands on Spencer Hawes in Sunday night’s game vs the Sixers.
ESPN is reporting the news that upon review the league has decided against any type of suspension on the play. This comes as the amount of on the court skirmishes for Melo continue to pile up. Anthony was infamously...
Tweet New York Knicks All-Star Carmelo Anthony has been a little on edge lately. Earlier this season ‘Melo got into a skirmish with Kevin Garnett allegedly over some Garnett trash talk involving Anthony’s wife Lala that led to Anthony waiting at the Celtics bus to confront Garnett. Sunday, Anthony was at it again, this time smacking Philadelphia [...]
Tweet Carmelo Anthony spent just one season at Syracuse University, but it was probably the best season in the history of the school’s men’s basketball program. As a freshman Anthony led the Orange to an 81-78 victory over Kansas in the NCAA Tournament’s championship game to give the school its first, and only, national [...]
Carmelo Anthony and Spencer Hawes got into it during the third quarter of Sunday night’s Knicks-Sixers game at MSG after both players were fighting for position under the basket. Anthony hit Hawes in the head which provoked the Sixers center to get into Melo’s face. Teammate, Tyson Chandler, came to the rescue, shoving Hawes away. Luckily it didn’t escalate any further. Officials...
Video: Led Cuse to 2003 NCAA Championship
Talk radio in NY is feverishly discussing just how much Carmelo Anthony's punk slap of Spencer Hawes infects the team and causes further punk acts out of Melo's teammates. Deadspin's Greg Howard went...
Full story at Bob's Blitz ~ http://www.bobsblitz.com
The Knicks suffered through two painful losses at the hands of the Indiana Pacers and Toronto Raptors before finishing the week on a high note with a victory over the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday night.
The Knicks (33-20) hold a two-game lead in the Atlantic Division over the Brooklyn Nets, while they trail the Indiana Pacers by a half game for second place in the...
There is an old saying that states, "Sunday is for Lovers" but there was no love lost between New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and Philadelphia 76ers center Spencer Hawes.In the third quarter of the 76ers/Knicks game, Hawes got tangled up with Carmelo under the basket and nearly got into an altercation with him.Before the fight could start, New York center Tyson...
Rudy Gay and Carmelo Anthony matched each other basket for basket in what first looked to be a high scoring game, tied 32-32 after the 1st quarter. Ironically, both Rudy & Carmelo ended the game with 32 points each (including 17 for Rudy in the 3rd quarter alone!), but in the dying moments the Raptors capitalized on what appeared to be mental lapse by the Knickerbockers. With...
Post Game Recap
Final Score: 76ers: 93 Knicks: 99
For at least one more day the Knicks will hold onto the Atlantic Division lead after ending their four game losing streak tonight against the 76ers. It was not the cleanest game, but the Knicks held control of the game the whole time, not trailing after the first quarter. The Knicks took control of the game in the second quarter...
If the New York Knicks spent the All-Star Break getting some rest and relaxation, someone forgot to wake them up. The second half of the Knicks’ season started in disastrous fashion last Wednesday against Indiana, and the losing streak reached four on Friday when the Knicks faltered in crunch time against the Toronto Raptors. Thankfully, the Philadelphia 76ers and their putrid...
History has been made here for the Turn OnThe Knicks team, as the The New York Knicks register their first win since the website was launched over a week ago. The Knicks finally end their four game losing streak by defeating the Phildelphia 76ers 99-93, earlier tonight at Madison Square Garden.
The game started off with a roar of intensity mixed with ugly play, as the Knicks were...
An ugly stretch of basketball has led to an appropriate amount of pessimism among New York Knicks fans in the previous couple of weeks. It isn’t breaking news that this has been a .500 basketball team for the bulk of the season and that they haven’t inspired much confidence as a serious contender in the Eastern Conference. The bar was set higher this year than getting blown...