Just days ago at a post UFC 157 media scrum company President Dana White revealed to us that featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was flat out refusing to fight top lightweight contender Anthony Pettis. "Showtime" had been granted the immediate shot at 145 after simply sending White a text message asking for it following Aldo's victory over Frankie Edgar in the main event of UFC 156.
News that Aldo would not grant Pettis this shot put Dana White into "he better or he won't like the outcome" mode. It seems that Aldo and company were merely looking to barter. White announced earlier today on his official twitter account that "Aldo vs. Pettis is ON!!!!" He also clarified that the bout will be for Aldo's 145 lb. strap. That's all not folks. What came out just moments ago via sportv.globo makes this situation very, very interesting.
Check out a rough version of the translation from Portuguese to English below:
UFC President, Dana White announced during a chat with fans on Monday night that the fight between Jose Aldo and Anthony Pettis is confirmed. The bout, which was threatened, he said, by the refusal of the Brazilian put his belt on the weights-downs at stake, worth the title. In contrast, according to André Pederneiras, coach of champions, is that Brazilians dispute the belt of lightweights then.- I had a meeting today (Monday) with Jose Aldo and Aldo said: "I'm done with this ********.'re Saying that I'm running, then they will see who will run who at the time: if you like beating, can buy the pay per view on August 3 you will see that, because heads will roll. "At the time, I called Dana White to confirm the match, but with one condition: after this fight, the fight is worth a title shot against lightweight champion - told the SPORTV.COM Pederneiras, who also expects the duel between two happen in Brazil.
Who do you guys have in this match that will give one man an opportunity to hold two belts simultaneously in two divisions? photo via ufc