Found February 26, 2013 on 5thRound.com:

While Anthony Pettis (Pictured) won’t challenge UFC featherweight king Jose Aldo for his crown for another six months, the highly-anticipated shootout is doing its best to hoard the MMA headlines. On Saturday, UFC President Dana White claimed Aldo refused to fight Pettis because he didn’t feel the lightweight top contender warranted a shot at his throne. Fast forward just two days and White reported Aldo did an about-face and agreed to fight “Showtime.” An hour after the announcement, White confirmed a victorious Aldo would then get an immediately crack at the 155-pound crown. After hearing what was at stake for Aldo, Pettis naturally wanted to get the “Scarface” treatment if he was victorious on August 3rd. It’s not an absurd request considering he already earned next dibs at the lightweight belt after trouncing Donald Cerrone at UFC 156. However, with so much talk of division hopping going on, White appeared as an in-studio guest on this week’s edition of FUEL TV’s UFC Tonight to clarify the stakes for Aldo and Pettis. “[Aldo] wants to go to 155, win the title, then go back to 145. I said, ‘That ain’t happening,’” White stated. “If [Aldo] moves to 155, he stays at 155 and he holds that belt. And if Pettis wins the fight, Pettis is gonna have to stay at 145 and defend that belt a couple times.” Get it? Got it? Good!

THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Jose Aldo says no to farce UFC title fight

Jose Aldo has become my new favorite UFC fighter. After months of ridiculous UFC championship fights Aldo has become the first fighter to put an end to this farce and Dana White is not a happy man.

Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis Will Go On As Planned

Just two days after UFC President Dana White claimed Jose Aldo refused to defend his featherweight crown against an “undeserving” Anthony Pettis (Pictured), White announced Monday evening the shootout will in fact go on as planned. “Aldo vs Pettis is ON!!!!!” White tweeted. White didn’t report why Aldo did an about-face. The 145-pound scrap takes place August 3rd at a yet...

Champ Jose Aldo Promised UFC Lightweight Title Fight with Win Over Anthony Pettis

Clearly, the UFC’s new Fighter Rankings mean absolutely nothing. Apparently, the best way to earn a title shot isn’t to score a top spot in the media-voted polls, but to win a pivotal scrap in a different division. Anthony Pettis was granted next dibs at the lightweight crown after trouncing Donald Cerrone at UFC 156. However, instead of waiting to face the victor of the April...

Aldo agrees to defend belt against Pettis; winner gets a lightweight title shot

Just days ago at a post UFC 157 media scrum company President Dana White revealed to us that featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo was flat out refusing to fight top lightweight contender Anthony Pettis. "Showtime" had been granted the immediate shot at 145 after simply sending White a text message asking for it following Aldo's victory over Frankie Edgar in the main event...

News: Jeremy Stephens Drops To 145lbs, Meets Debuting Estevan Payan At UFC 160

An interesting featherweight match-up has been officially added to the UFC’s Memorial Day fight card. Jeremy Stephens will be dropping down to featherweight to face the debuting Estevan Payan.  UFC officials announced the match-up early Wednesday.  Stephens will be moving down to featherweight after dropping his last three fights as a lightweight. Losses to Yves Edwards, Donald...
MMA News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.